Acanthocereus Tetragonus, commonly known as the Fairy Castle Cactus, is a beautiful succulent that captures the imagination with its unique architectural form. This enchanting cactus resembles a miniature castle. Let’s delve into the world of Acanthocereus Tetragonus and explore the fascinating features that make it a favorite among succulent enthusiasts.
The Fairy Castle Cactus boasts an extraordinary growth habit that resembles a whimsical castle. It features multiple upright, columnar stems that branch out in a way that resembles turrets and towers. This intricate branching pattern creates a stunning focal point in any succulent display.
Acanthocereus Tetragonus is adorned with sharp spines lining its ridged stems. These spines serve as a protective mechanism and enhance the cactus’s captivating aesthetic. They add a sense of drama and texture to its overall appearance.
Follow Succulent City on Facebook, Pinterest & Instagram for more informative & interesting content about succulents & cacti 🙂 Join the discussions at our Facebook Group, “Succulent City Plant Lounge.” Happy planting, and live the moment!
While the Fairy Castle Cactus starts as a small plant, it can grow to impressive heights. It can reach several feet tall with proper care and time, making it a commanding presence in any succulent arrangement.
Cultivation and Care
Taking care of Acanthocereus Tetragonus requires attention to its specific needs. Here are some essential care tips:
- Light: Provide your Fairy Castle Cactus with bright, indirect sunlight. It can tolerate direct sunlight, but be cautious of scorching its delicate stems.
- Temperature: This cactus thrives in warm temperatures, ideally 18°C – 29°C (approximately 64.4°F – 84.2°F). Don’t let this plant alone under freezing temperatures.
- Watering: Make sure the soil is dry and water sparingly. As I said in many posts on Succulent City, we should avoid root rot at all costs.
- Soil: Use a well-draining cactus or succulent potting mix. Good drainage is essential to prevent soggy roots.
- Fertilization: Feed your Fairy Castle Cactus with a balanced, diluted cactus fertilizer during the growing season. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer package.
- Propagation: Acanthocereus Tetragonus can be propagated from stem cuttings. Before planting them, allow the cuttings to callus for a few days.
- Maintenance: Inspect your Fairy Castle Cactus for pests and remove dead or damaged stems. Handle the cactus with care due to its spines.
DO YOU KNOW? Caring (propagating, pruning/trimming, beheading, watering, …) is a set of skills that is widely applicable to succulents. Read the in-depth guide here >>Richard Miller – Succulent City
Before You Go …
Acanthocereus Tetragonus, the Fairy Castle Cactus, will thrive and enchant your succulent collection with proper care. This is the only plant of the Acanthocereus genus to appear on Succulent City. However, we introduce plenty of succulents & cacti on our blog. Here are two suggestions for your next read:
Hey everyone! Welcome to Succulent City! We are all about succulents, cacti, and a bit about air plants. Ten years back, in 2013, we began the journey with succulents. It started as a simple hobby, crafting and selling charming succulent-themed pins and decorations. But as time passed, our fascination with these remarkable plants grew, and we gained extensive knowledge about them. Therefore, Succulent City is the blog as you see it is now. Enjoy your visit and happly planting!